[wp-hackers] users vs. usermeta

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Wed Dec 14 17:05:53 GMT 2005

David House wrote:

> He's saying that those fields should be moved to users, and the
> usermeta table be left for plugins, if I've read that correctly. I've
> outlined the reasons for the current setup in my previous email.

Ah, I think I see what you mean. I think I read the original message
incorrectly. Plus, I had a brainfart and thought that some of the fields
were still in the users table.

What I was trying to say is that the fields like the ones relating to IM
do belong in the usermeta table. They were moved out of the main users
table for version 2.0 for a reason (table normalization). Any field
which may not be populated for a significant number of table rows, is a
good candidate for lookup tables like usermeta.

--
Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/