[wp-hackers] [WP 2.0 RC1] WP API Key ... Follow the google/amazon/ebay path ...

Douglas Daulton apakuni at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 18:01:01 GMT 2005

I was a little confused about the WP API key requirements in WP 2.0 RC1.  So
I had a chat with Matt about it.  I now understand how it works with WP.com.
While I understand it, I think it may prove an administrative nightmare in
the long run.  Not for me, but for the admins at WP.com.  Mainly, I think
folks like me who run their own server, will end up creating a lot of dead
wp.com sites just to get an API key.  So dead.wp.com will be just that ...
An empty ill-maintained site which will slowly clog up the works as wp.com
grows.

So, I shared with Matt what I thought might be a more efficient way of doing
it.  Basically, we learn from established pros like Amazon, Google and eBAY.
Create a new sub-domain called dev.wordpress.com (or something similar).
Have devs register there.  Once registered, one dev gets a single API key.
If, for some reason, (tracking, stats, etc.), we need an individual API key
for every site we create, then have devs register new sites as part of their
account and then append some unique number or string to the end of the
existing API key.  Viola!  Unique, trackable API keys by domain or even
subdomain.

So in practice, it might looks something like this ...

1) I sign up at devs.wordpress.com and am asked if I also want a blog on
wp.com.  In all cases, my requested user name is checked against the general
account list for *.wp.com.  If it is available, I get it if not, I choose a
new one.  If "I want a blog" is checked, then I am provisioned for
username.wp.com as well.  If not, then I get no website, just an dev
account.

2) I fill out some info about myself and my dev abilities which might be
useful for folks looking for help on a project and could become an extension
to the dev marketplace that Matt kicked off a while back.

3) I am taken to a "Register Sites" page where I list the site(s) I
maintain.

4) Upon completion of the form and email confirmation of the account, I am
assigned a WP API key.  And each site I register is given an
appended/extended key.  The keys might look like this:

Username:       monkeyman
Base API Key:   monkeyman-1934567989909
Site Key 1:     monkeyman-1934567989909-monkeyman.net
Site Key 2:     monkeyman-1934567989909-monkeyman.com
Site Key 3:     monkeyman-1934567989909-monkeyman.org

5) Every time I add a new site to my portfolio, I login to my WP dev account
and add it.  Or, even cooler yet.  On the new site, I enter my Base API Key
and it auto posts the new site to my account on dev.wp.com.

6)  This could open up a whole new slew of cool, centralized WP-driven
services like statistics and performance analysis, SPAM Blacklists (like
Akismet), dev directory and ranking. Common tag libraries, etc.  None of it
should squelch ideas and new project.  Just the opposite, it should drive
them.

So there it is.  Thoughts?