[wp-hackers] Trackback Validator plugin now available.

Dan Sandler dsandler at dsandler.org
Thu Aug 25 15:59:09 GMT 2005

> Its no doubt that this plugin will eliminate almost all of Trackback
> SPAM, but then, there will be a lot of false positives as well,
> because people who generally use Trackback, they don't link to
> (all)the websites/blogs where they are sending trackbacks.  [example
> given]

So, this is an interesting question.  Is Trackback-without-link that
common a use case?

[In my own personal experience, I don't think I've ever TB'd a site
without sending a URL (thanks to WordPress doing the right thing), and
I can't remember ever having received a URL-less TB.  (But my mileage
varies, apparently.)]

My personal opinion is that "provide a URL if you want to Trackback me"
is a reasonable limitation to place on the technology in order to curb
abuse, but if linkless Trackbacks make up more than (say) 25% of all
valid TBs, I guess it's not so reasonable.

---dan