[wp-hackers] 1.5.2

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Thu Aug 11 12:16:41 GMT 2005

Nikolay Bachiyski wrote:
> Mark Jaquith wrote:
>> Perhaps we should just ship with two copies of the default theme.
>> Yeah... I know... makes the download bigger... but it gets around the
>> naming problems (just call it /my-theme/ or something), and it gets
>> around the problems with people who don't have a writable
>> /wp-content/themes/ directory.
>>

> I admit the idea of a user theme is not bad...
>
> However the active theme after install is the 'default' one and it is
> not indicated anywhere that if I want to edit something I should edit
> 'my theme', and not the default one. Maybe if we ship with a second copy
> of the default theme (as you suggested) and make it active by default
> the users will edit this one and transparently leave the default theme
> virginal. Thus we will solve both problems: non-writable themes/
> directory and non-ascii characters in blog name.

If we do ship two copies of the default theme, the virginal copy should
_not_ live in /wp-content/themes/ but in /wp-content/[somethingelse]/ so
that users can be assured of having a known working theme somewhere.

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35