[wp-hackers] 1.5.2

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Tue Aug 9 02:37:30 GMT 2005

Quoting Matthew Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com>:

> It's going to be long enough before the next release (1.6) and there are
> enough fixes to warrant another release in the otherwise stable 1.5 branch.
>
> I'm curious what bugs are most annoying to people or what hooks are most
> needed in this bugfix/minor feature release.

I am sorry to be a nuisance by putting forward my opinion, but is the
release of
1.5.2 truly necessary? There have already been many fixes which urged
people to
upgrade. Each such upgrade degrades the sense of credibility. Take phpBB, for
example, with version 2.0.17 which was released a week or two ago (Safari fix
IIRC). 2.0.16 was a very critical update which meant that anyone refusing to
upgrade could bring down an entire shared server. Then, there are the small
browser compatibility fixes that had people upgrading in frustration and
considering giving up phpBB altogether because of the maintenace associated.
Each time it appears as if the final ("Grand") update has come around and yet
another one comes around and demands attention.

The only big pro I can think of are people installing WordPress for the first
time. They might as well go for 1.5.2 (which does not appear like a
sub-sub-sub-version). The question is: is it worth having hundreds of
thousands
of Webmasters feel like they use a stable version that is out-of-date? Then
there emerges the fear over security issues. Not everyone keeps track of what
the changes between releases actually are. I can't stress the latter point
strongly enough...

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz