[wp-hackers] Snoopy: Good or Evil

peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Wed Aug 3 14:26:21 GMT 2005

> On 8/3/05, peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk <peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk> wrote:
>> Curious as to what sort of data you expect the plugin to grab.
>>
>> I have no experience with using Snoopy but have had great sucess using
>> the
>> IXR
>> XML-RPC library on both client and server in my Version Check plugin to
>> retrieve data and cache it.
>
> I'm just grabbing a flat HTML file such as this one:
> http://blogsoftheday.com/hotlist.html
> Would that library be good for this kind of thing?

For grabbing that specific file XML-RPC would be no good.

For grabbing the data it could be good.

XML-RPC would allow you to make a PHP call on an object and get the data
back already parsed into an Array.  It would however require some code to
run on your server for every request so if the client is not sending you
any information to modify what is returned then XML-RPC is probably a bit
heavy.

However you could do what I believe DrDave has done in SK2 and request a
"flat file" that is actually outout of PHP serialize function on the data
you wish to get and then unserialize in your client - this is probably
more efficent than XML-RPC if you haven't got any client data to include
in the request.

hope this helps

--
westi