[wp-hackers] Making it better

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Fri Apr 22 20:48:18 GMT 2005

David Chait wrote:
> What IS the 'end goal'?  Is there a roadmap for where WP is going in the
> future, how to make the product/experience better for Joe User?

http://wordpress.org/

"WordPress is a state-of-the-art semantic personal publishing platform
with a focus on aesthetics, web standards, and usability."

I think we have a lot we could improve in at least two of those three
categories.

"More simply, WordPress is what you use when you want to work with your
blogging software, not fight it."

People are still fighting, we need to make it as easy as technically
possible.

http://wordpress.org/about/

"We hope by focusing on user experience and web standards we can create
a tool different from anything else out there."

Again, the focus on the user experience. We all love software that is a
joy to use and elegant to work with. As far as WordPress can become that
software to more people, I think we're doing a good job.

It's tough work -- it hasn't been easy and it won't get any easier.
There are proprietary and commercial companies trying to do the same
thing, except with millions of dollars and dozens of full-time
employees. However they don't have the community or passion that we
have, and I think we can do a better job and make the world a better
place in the process. I truly believe this, otherwise I would have given
up or sold out long ago.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://photomatt.net  | http://wordpress.org