[wp-hackers] Making it better

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Thu Apr 21 19:51:53 GMT 2005

Podz wrote:
> 1. Like David has just said, and I too have voiced, what IS wp ? Unless
> we know that, we do not know the target and we must define that. Does it
> blog ? Does it CMS ? Does it do anything you want it to ?

As the project gets bigger and receives more contributors, I do think
it's important to have a defined roadmap.  As with any planning, this
begins by asking, "What are we trying to accomplish?"

> 2. Get people blogging that wp is NOT about PHP. We get stupid posts in
> the forums where people just want to alter a link size but can't
> "because they don't know php". There may be some php knowledge IF you
> want but the myth needs killing. No-one says "Can't use MT cos it's Perl".

I agree that the notion that PHP is required for WordPress is a myth,
but we must also accede on the level at which a user's desire for
customization excedes the capabilities of the default software.

Every comment I've seen made about how WordPress requires PHP is
prefaced by some crazy notion of customization that no other system
would be able to support without additional coding in its native
programming language.  Should we even entertain these outlandish
customizations as a failing of WordPress?  If so, then it's also a
failing of any other blogging software that doesn't read a user's mind.

> 4. Everything spread over the place. Could be considered bad but wp.org
> still times out and if everything is there isn't that equivalent to
> putting all the eggs in one basket ?

These resources should be distributed.  I don't mean just that there
should be many individual islands of resources, but that the islands
need to start sharing data.  Yes, I mean support/plugin/theme
distribution by RSS/XMLRPC -- syndicated resources.  I could select the
site with the presentation I like best, and obtain all of the same stuff
that any of the other guys have.  When one goes down, all of the same
resources are available on one of the "mirrors".

> 5. Forum help. Dead right, and Craig and I have been saying this for a
> LONG time. newbie ? no problem. Middle-ish problem ? Okaaay if we've
> seen it before and remember. Deeper ? not a chance unless a coder
> wanders in. Those I have flagged up to this list have been looked after
> (Thanks !) but I could do that every day - and then that defeats the
> object as they would be ignored. the amount of help that Kaf, MdaWaffe
> (and others) have given is amazing.

The reason why I don't bother with the forums:  I don't often need help
because I know what I'm doing, and I don't want to sift through a ton of
posts that other people have already answered.  It's also a waste of
time to review posts that someone with non-developer knowledge could
answer.  So create a flag that marks posts as "need dev help", and start
marking posts.  Give me a page I can see them, and I'll stop by now and
then.

For the record, every post that you (Podz) have posted to wp-hackers, I
have looked at, and if someone else didn't answer first and I knew the
answer, I replied.  This method *works*.

Would we consider a payment model for support on the forums?  Something
like ExpertsExchange?  Users contribute a few cents into a pool.  Users
who post answers that the original requester approves receive a share of
the pot.  That way, support contributors are compensated for the
successful work they perform.  (I expect that this suggestion will meet
reluctance.)

Owen