[wp-hackers] Making it better

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Thu Apr 21 18:48:55 GMT 2005

1. Like David has just said, and I too have voiced, what IS wp ? Unless
we know that, we do not know the target and we must define that. Does it
blog ? Does it CMS ? Does it do anything you want it to ?

2. Get people blogging that wp is NOT about PHP. We get stupid posts in
the forums where people just want to alter a link size but can't
"because they don't know php". There may be some php knowledge IF you
want but the myth needs killing. No-one says "Can't use MT cos it's Perl".

3. Forum overhaul ... the new users rule here. I have the knowledge of
being around a while.
June 2003: http://web.archive.org/web/20030527104021/wordpress.org/support/
June 2004:
http://web.archive.org/web/20030705072607/wordpress.org/support/
Today:
http://wordpress.org/support/

The numbers....

4. Everything spread over the place. Could be considered bad but wp.org
still times out and if everything is there isn't that equivalent to
putting all the eggs in one basket ?

5. Forum help. Dead right, and Craig and I have been saying this for a
LONG time. newbie ? no problem. Middle-ish problem ? Okaaay if we've
seen it before and remember. Deeper ? not a chance unless a coder
wanders in. Those I have flagged up to this list have been looked after
(Thanks !) but I could do that every day - and then that defeats the
object as they would be ignored. the amount of help that Kaf, MdaWaffe
(and others) have given is amazing.

P.