[wp-hackers] 1.5.1 Release

Kimmo Suominen kim at tac.nyc.ny.us
Thu Apr 14 15:14:04 GMT 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 04:46:40PM +0300, Nikolay Bachiyski wrote:
> Kimmo Suominen wrote:
> >
> >That's basically the same as
> >
> >http://mosquito.wordpress.org/view.php?id=925
> Yes. You are right.
>
> >The workaround is also documented there (changing the default_charset
> >value that PHP is using).
> Changing the default_charset is a lot easier than adding and adding
> headers to each different file. However we cannot rely on the fact that
> Allow Override has acceptable value (not to mention other web servers...).

I agree -- it would be better to make WordPress as impervious to the
defaults in PHP and Apache as possible.  For example, I think having a
central file for all the headers would be a good direction to go.

In this particular case, one could probably use the ini_set() function
inside WordPress instead of the php_value directive in .htaccess (to
avoid the dependency on "Allow Override").

For non-PHP files there is also the Apache directive AddDefaultCharset
to consider, which might prove more problematic to address.

Regards,
+ Kim
--
<A HREF="http://kimmo.suominen.com/">Kimmo Suominen</A>