[wp-hackers] Theme development and hooks.

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Fri Apr 8 15:38:27 GMT 2005

I guess 'the genie is out of the bottle' already.  I see providing new
templates in the future as further guidelines, but the reality is different
designers may have varying takes on how to build themes.  There's no reason
to 'restrict' them, so long as they provide an interface for telling PHP
what the key elements of the theme construction are.

I am NOT against having a base, common set of CSS -- however, my guess is
that I'd already be breaking rules on my own site, due to SEO.  And lord
knows Kubrick, which is now what a large number of new WP sites are based
off of, has its own approach already.

It's easier to add a bunch of variable/functions to the existing way things
are styled than to rewrite the code/css to >attempt< to comply (as
compliance isn't possible in all cases, frankly....).

And I never said 'loads of code'.  We're talking a small table of variables,
or accessor functions, for looking up the proper tag+class for specific
types of elements on a page.  And a limited set at that.

Maybe I'll try to draft something up if I can get through my taxes in the
next few days... ;)

-d