[wp-hackers] Trackback Spam Fix

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Wed Apr 6 13:46:36 GMT 2005

Elliott Bäck wrote:
> As far as I know, the trackback form doesn't verify that the trackback
> URL resolves to the host IP sending the trackback, which in my opinion
> and experience, is the cause of most or all of the trackback spam
> currently getting posted.  I know that in theory trackback can be send
> by a server of behalf of someone else, but I know of very few
> implementations that work that way.

There are many people who use blogging clients (w.bloggar, ecto, zempt,
etc) which are capable of sending trackbacks on their own. In that case,
the IP of the client won't match the IP of the blog. I would hesitate to
flag a trackback as 'spam' purely on the basis of an IP mismatch. But
moving it to moderation could be prudent.

--
Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/