[wp-forums] Putting member on moderation

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Sep 15 01:18:37 UTC 2014

Okay, new general rule:

In the future, if somebody is grumpy about moderation or moderators and is
calling it out on the forums, please don't take it on yourself.

I'm not saying this was handled incorrectly, but it easily could have gone
badly. Still could, actually.

So, in the future, email me. I don't mind. I can handle grumpy people. I
can sometimes disagree with the moderators. I can also happily tell
somebody they're banned forever and not to be such a jerk in the future
(although I rarely have to go that far).

Point being, when you're in a position of immediate power and also directly
involved, it's easy for that conversation to go horribly wrong. A third
party with the power to hit either side with the big stick (me) and who
kinda doesn't care (also me) can be objective. And I've gotten shockingly
good at mellowing out and dealing with this sort of thing over the years.
;-)

You don't have to be the jerk. I can be the jerk for you, nicely. Or to
you, if you're wrong. Either way, pass it up the chain. :-)