[wp-forums] Sharing login details to dummy host

Jan Dembowski jan at dembowski.net
Wed Mar 5 13:21:15 UTC 2014

andrew nevins wrote:

> Is it okay for people to share their login details for us to help them, if
> their installation is hosted on a dummy server? E.g. Someone has an issue
> on localhost and they just put their site on any free hosting service to
> get it up and running for us to see, is it then okay for them to share the
> login details to that site?
>
> https://wordpress.org/support/topic/important-problems-with-my-theme?replies=15#post-5304791
>
> Although I am aware that when it gets to the stage that they need someone
> to look into their dashboard they may need more support than this
> forum can
> give.

Nope. *Looks for coffee*

I mean, "That's not a good idea and that userid and password should be
edited out of the post when found just like email addresses." ;)

The forums are self-help and members should wait for instructions or
examples of how to sort out their problems themselves. It doesn't matter
if it's paid hosting or free (which is it's own problem BTW, free hosts
are awful) no one should be publishing credentials on the forums.

They can share code, screenshots, point to the temporary site, etc. but
if they need that level of hands support then please politely refer them
to the jobs site.

Thanks,

Jan Dembowski