[wp-forums] R: Re: Closing down threads regarding old versions of WP

electricfeet at libero.it electricfeet at libero.it
Tue Jul 15 00:27:52 UTC 2014

Education, yes. But it's education on forum usage, rather than education on
WordPress. (Surely we/you want the latter, not only the former.)

And what about welcome? Or community-building? Making people feel they can get
help here?

I think you guys are perhaps being too logical for your user base. I get it, I
really do. In my career I've been responsible for user support in quite a big
way (many years ago now). Enforcing rules places a nice order on things (as
well as sometimes being fun and empowering at times). But you also have to
consider how people FEEL in order to build a community.

If people aren't being disruptive--and no, this case WASN'T spam by any
stretch of the term--then let it be. If someone wants to answer, to help, leave
them the opportunity to do so.

And after all what's the downside? They'll write again when they don't get an
answer? So?

N.B. I'm not attacking anyone here: I admire you all and your work (read your
archives over several evenings recently Mika;  thanks!). But I'm genuinely
shocked every time I see people given a welcome like this.

forums at lists.automattic.com>