[wp-forums] Topic closed for no apparent reason?

Mika A Epstein ipstenu at ipstenu.org
Thu Jan 10 20:09:47 UTC 2013

cmoral3s posted after the post had been six months idle.

Two major factors at work here:

1) We've had a major WP upgrade since then
2) The post should have been made resolved a while ago

He should have made his own topic, or been encouraged/asked to do so,
because as you rightly pointed "Not sure if yours is the same." It's
not. And as soon as we keep letting more and more people pile on one
topic...

Well I tell people it's like everyone shouting out their orders at once
to the barristas. You get bad coffee :) You'll get bad help if you do
that, since the helpers have to sort multiple threads, which are all in
a single line, to help one person. Most of the time this results in the
OP never being helped. That's why the guidelines say to make their own
topics. It's way easier to help each individual there, since rarely is
the problem 100% the same.

There are exceptions of course, but it'll be like "Hey, I get this error
on this theme." or something very specific. Like Pagespeed and the media
uploader. You can tell they're the same because you don't get "I have
the same problem, but only when I use this plugin..." :) That 'but' is
the indicator that says it's probably not the same problem.

We want to encourage forum users to open multiple threads about similar,
but NOT the exact same problems. And Joe Buckle jumping in there is
exactly why.