[wp-forums] Support forum registration now has a re-captcha on it

Aaron Nimocks aaron_nimocks at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 02:05:18 UTC 2013

> > On 1/8/13, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
> >> I know, but dammit, this is ridiculous.
> >>
> >> Alternative approach suggestions would be welcome.
> >>
> >> Sorry for the brevity and typos, sent from my phone.

Well the best way to avoid these also takes some programming and might be kind of in depth depending on how the user system is done.

But the bots work by getting the name and ID of the fields to fill or field position.  So right now the user name is user_login which is pretty easy.  To make it harder you have to randomize these names and positions each load.

So there are 11 fields to fill, you would randomize their position where they are displayed.

Then the 11 fields you randomize the ID/NAME for each field with some 8 character random code.  The hard part is when you submit the form all those ID/NAMES need to match on the processing side.  So this is where the time consuming programming change would come in.

There's how you can avoid the majority of spam registrations.  Too bad it isn't as simple to implement.

You can manually change some positions and the ID/NAME of user name to see how many less you get just to see if you think it is viable.

Aaron