[wp-forums] Troll

Mark Ratledge mark at markratledge.com
Thu Feb 7 22:51:16 UTC 2013

Damn, even as an (unemployed) professor of English I had to look up "widdershins" in the OED:

"Moving in an anticlockwise direction, contrary to the apparent course of the sun (considered as unlucky or sinister); unlucky, ill-fated, relating to the occult."

Usage: 1926 D. H. Lawrence, Plumed Serpent: She made up her mind, to be alone, and to cut herself off from all the mechanical widdershin contacts. Ibid., He, too, was widdershins, unwinding the sensations of disintegration and anti-life.

-- mark