[wp-forums] Spam!

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Nov 30 20:11:03 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 2:00 PM, mrmist <listswpforum at mist.org.uk> wrote:
> This is the first time I've seen anyone mention that people should not be
> blocked. I've been setting accounts to blocked for years.  Where an account
> is just used for automated spam leaving it as an active bozo means it can
> continue to inject spam into the spam bucket, which someone then has to
> clean up.  I don't really see a good reason to let that happen, but perhaps
> I'm missing something.

Virtually no spam accounts do that though, and blocking them just
gives incentive to try to improve their game and bypass the filters.
I'd much rather them keep using the same accounts repeatedly than to
just create new ones all the time anyway.

Blocking should be used for actual people, not automated accounts.
Bozoing hides their spam from the world, which is the point of
bozoing.

As for the spam bucket, I really don't care how full it is. I know
some of you try to clean it out from time to time, but I've never
really understood why. Doesn't make any sense to me, really. Leave it
marked spam, because, honestly, who cares? It's just a label.

-Otto