[wp-forums] Underline button in Post Editing Toolbar

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sun Jul 1 14:43:19 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Francisco de Azevedo
<frandeazevedo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody!
> This is not a very big deal at all, but I've had this doubt in the back of
> my head since I started helping out in the forums. Does anyone know why the
> HTML underline ( <u> ) tag is not supported in the forums? Could it be a
> security measure?
> Thanks!
>
> Marventus

The <u> tag was deprecated since HTML 4 and was only recently added
back to the HTML living standard and incorporated into HTML 5.
Therefore lots of places don't support it.

Really, <u> is a non-semantic tag and should generally not be used.
It's easily confused with a normal link.

Use <em> and <strong> if you want to add emphasis instead.

-Otto