[wp-forums] Thread layout borked

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Wed Apr 4 13:48:27 UTC 2012

Speaking of that:

I totally understand the need for the Pastebin requirement. (Threads
quickly get unreadable without it, and bbPress isn't ideal for
reading/parsing long blocks of code, anyway). However, is there any way
that we can provide better user experience here?

When pasted code is moderated currently, that code just disappears. Given
the mutable nature of the typical support thread, that original code might
not be recoverable by the people participating in the conversation. (That's
even moreso true for solution code, where it would have never existed
anywhere *except* for the support topic.)

I have at least two ideas, and would welcome more (and feedback):

1) When code is moderated, have the moderator create the pastebin.

2) When the post is published, add an interstitial check for the existence
of a code block, and direct the user to pastebin *before* posting

The former option adds burden to the moderator load. The latter option
requires functionality/workflow that currently doesn't exist.

Is either one viable? Are there any better options?

Chip