[wp-forums] The subtle distinctions between self promotion and assistance

ipstenu at ipstenu.org ipstenu at ipstenu.org
Wed Apr 13 14:05:33 UTC 2011

Ah, but that's the funny thing.  See, if it's a NEW plugin, sure.

Jon's post was 2 days ago.  His plugin's quite a bit older (been
around since 3.0.5).  And it had quite a few downloads.  He'd promoted
it before (but in sensible ways). So logic me why you would post,
again.  Again?  Oh yeah.  Didn't you notice he's done this before?

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/a-revolution-in-widget-management?replies=25

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-total-widget-control-looking-for-people-to-break-my-plugin?replies=1

And I suspect there were a couple that were deleted.

Besides which, it's not each INDIVIDUAL peice of the puzzle that shows
the elephant, it's the whole picture.

1) A commercial plugin (pay for licenses/API which may or may not be
in GPL vio)

2) Promotion via his own topics AND rampant posting of 'Hey, my plugin
may help you!' in other topics, without paying close attention to WHAT
is being asked in the topic in the first place (basically, if you're
skimming, it's related. If you bother to read, it's not)

3) Posting to old/out of date threads that ARE related (by itself? Not
a problem, but when you add it to 1 and 2, starts to be itchy).

Basically I feel his PATTERN of behavior needs a clue-by-four to the
head. He's not thinking about the COMMUNITY, he's thinking about his
PRODUCT. And I really have no idea how to explain to him that there IS
a difference between self-promotion and assistance.  I can point to
Esmi, or Andrea_r and say 'This is how you help AND promote
correctly.' but I think the distinction will be lost.