[wp-forums] Codex: Using Permalinks

t31os wp_t31os at t31os.co.cc
Mon Feb 8 14:36:28 UTC 2010

Hi to all,

Perhaps this may help shed a little more light on the subject although
not entirely relevant, their are some pieces of discussion in that topic
that may be of interest.

http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-testers/2009-January/011099.html

I think part of the issue arises in using permalinks that don't have a
numeric value in them, the performance hit comes from the intensive
pattern matching apache then has to perform to determine what content it
should be displaying.

When you use numeric values, like months and years you actually make it
easier for apache to find the content (the pattern matching need not be
quite as complex to find what it needs), in turn performance is better.

I could of sworn a read a topic on the hackers list on performance
specifically with permalink structures, but in all my searching i cannot
for the life of me find the thread now, so perhaps i imagined it.

Regards,
Mark D

aka t31os