[wp-forums] Period plea for plugin link change

Les Bessant les at lcb.me.uk
Wed Mar 19 18:09:33 GMT 2008

I've mentioned this before...

When people click on "Write a new topic" from the Plugins Directory,
there is nothing on the page to warn them that they will be posting in
the general WordPress support forums. While a tag is added to the
post, as this does not directly link to the plugin page, it's not
always obvious what the poster is asking about.

Comments like "it doesn't work" are common, and understandable, given
that visitors who don't frequent the forums are quite reasonably going
to assume that they are communicating directly with the plugin author.

Can something be done to improve this?

Possible suggestions:

1. Prefix the subject title with something like [Plugin:<plugin
name>]  (which is what I tend to add when I spot them)
2. Insert a link to the plugin's page in the directory into the post
3. Make it clearer that "Write a new topic" is going to a more general
location than might be assumed

Given that 2.5 is coming soon, and that we can expect a moderate to
significant degree of plugin borkage, addressing this sooner rather
than later would help...

Les Bessant les at lcb.me.uk
Losing it[1] - http://lcb.me.uk
My flickr pictures - http://flickr.com/photos/lesbessant/