[wp-forums] The future of the forums

spencerp spencerp1 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 15:32:39 GMT 2007

Samuel Bollinger wrote:
> I use the same pattern - front page discussions - no replies.
> Samuel
>
> Handy wrote:
>> Somewhere along the line, this winter, my usage habits changed.  I
>> *never*click on individual forums.  I run through the front page
>> (Latest
>> Discussions) and then the "Topics with no replies" view.  (and, of
>> course,
>> ye olde' Akismet spam-trap)
>>
>> Am I like others or am I atypical (in this usuage, that is)?  Is there a
>> heat map to look at, I wonder (is crazyegg still in the mix?)

>>> TWO different WP versions. And of course, forums for each of those
>>> two..
>>> This way everything will have it's own place, rather then taking
>>> chances and
>>> everyone adding threads to wrong places and so forth..

>>> The reason for the Forum Categories enhancement was, as an example
>>> below:
>>>
>>> 2.0.X Support (- Forum Category 1)
>>> - 2.0.X Installation
>>> - 2.0.X How To Troubleshooting
>>> - 2.0.X so on ..
>>>
>>> 2.1.X Support (- Forum Category 2)
>>> - 2.1.X Installation
>>> - 2.1.X How To Troubleshooting
>>> - 2.1.X so on ..
>>>
>>> Of course, would make the index page a little bigger, but, maybe could
>>> sacrifice something else on there though.. *cough* Like lessen *how
>>> many*
>>> Latest Discussion threads are displayed on index page lol.. =P
>>>
>>> --
>>> spencerp
>>> http://spencerp.net

I'm right there with you guys. I follow the same pattern as well. ;):)
This was brought up, I guess, to help keep the branch questions/answers
in their respected places. Also, to help minimize the confusion
all-around.. Example: If User Joe comes to the forums looking for *only*
2.1 support, and goes through the current forums, he might be confused..
since various version questions flying through those forums..

Finding an answer for 2.1 specific questions, amongst the tons and tons
of the 2.0.X problem/questions/answers might be a bit overwhelming.. As
it is now, we still some what have questions of older versions of WP in
the forums, amongst the 2.0.X related ones.. IMHO, with the two
branches/ of WP now.. it might help lessen that confusion and so forth.

I know how you feel though, for "US" the volunteers.. it might be seen
as a pain the arse. But, looking at this from a "whole community"
perspective.. it will or should help tremendously.. I don't know
though.. what does everyone else (lurkers) think?

- -
spencerp
http://spencerp.net