[wp-forums] Forums heat map

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Thu Sep 28 14:19:08 GMT 2006

Handy wrote:
> On 9/28/06, Podz <podz at tamba2.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Handy wrote:
>>
>> > Recall how they ended up on the side?
>> >
>> > As I recall (and my memory sucks, so bear with me), Kaf came up with a
>> > custom stylesheet that he offered to volunteers.   Maybe 5 months
>> ago?  6?
>> > Along with changing colors, it moved some things around. I think (?)
>> that's
>> > when the tags became a sidebar thing.  The only part I truly recall is
>> just
>> > a day after I made the change with my browser to use Kaf's stuff, his
>> style
>> > became the forum's style.
>> >
>> > Who remembers that differently?  Am I close?
>>
>> Kaf did, yes.
>> The debate then was that the tags "got in the way" and that users had to
>> scroll to the Latest Discussions. That may well have been a valid view
>> at that time with no other information. It was presumed that users did
>> not know how to use tags
>> But the wp.com evidence says otherwise.
>

> OK.
>
> Tags need prominence to work.
>

> OK.
>
> Otherwise like I said, the rest all has to go.
>

> Huh?   You've already stated the initial assumptions were wrong based on
> the
> WP.com heatmap ("but the wp.com evidence says otherwise).  But here you're
> saying that if you can't have a top tag cloud you have to get rid of recent
> posts?  I don't understand.  Or is that just an emotional thing?

What I meant was that one argument about not having tags which someone
will undoubtedly use is that they are not clicked on. But neither is the
Requests forum, or Latest Discussions. Maybe if the Forum Rules wasn't
so dark we'd see more. We cannot use 'clicks' or the lack of as  aprime
indicator.

Put tags where READ ME FIRST is.
Leave search where it is.
Have a left col (where tags are) that has
Rules
Codex
Resources

P.