[wp-forums] Sigs

Melanie melanie at itcouldbenothing.com
Wed Feb 8 16:35:50 GMT 2006

Just speaking for myself here, but I assumed that sigs were not allowed
when I first joined the forum. Not because it's written anywhere, or
because it needed to be, but for the simple fact that it's not a feature
in the forum software. If there's not an option to automatically add a
sig in a  forum, I usually assume that's because at some point it's been
decided not to allow or encourage sigs.

And just speaking for the aesthetic point of view - the way the forums
are designed makes it very hard to distinguish sigs from the rest of the
message. I personally took this as further discouragement against
signatures, but then again, I'm not a huge fan of big lumbering sigs
even in phpBB or vBulletin forums where they are distinct.

No forum anywhere is a true democracy. This one is far more
collaborative than most, which is the nature of open source, but like
any forum that's going to remain useful among spammers and general
nonsense, it requires some policing, which means there will be rules
imposed upon all users, both implied and explicitly stated.

And just for the record, if it were a democracy, I'd definitely vote
against sigs. You can argue all day long about the philosophy behind it,
but the simple truth is that if they were allowed it would get out of
hand. Take a look at any forum anywhere that allows sigs, and you'll see
what I mean. For every user that has a modest sig, there are 5 who push
the limits as far as they'll go, and then some.

Mel