[wp-forums] Sigs

Murray at PlanetThoughtful planetthoughtful at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 15:59:26 GMT 2006

Dang it, seriously I'm going to report myself to the Whipping Master for
failure-to-go-to-bed-when-I-damn-well-know-I-should.

My question is: did you (not you specifically, Vicki) ever ask the users?

Which begs a couple of other questions.

Whose forum is this? Yours, because you're the moderation team? Theirs,
because they're the users? Some mixture of both?

My sticking point is that I have a belief in openness and
accountability. Deciding these things based on the likes and dislikes of
the moderation team as expressed in an email list most users I assume
don't know about, isn't open and isn't accountable. Not *telling* people
you've made that decision until after the fact is just plain
insert-pejorative-here.

As an absolute minimum, the forum should have a FAQ, where standards of
behavior are explained. Including, you know, thou-shalt-not-sig. Why?
Because it lets people know what to expect, and (and this is important)
it lets people know when / if a moderator has overstepped his or her
bounds. It may not happen. It may never happen. Let us all offer small
pieces of delicious things to the gods of internet support that it never
happens. But assumedly you, as a team, should be accountable to the
users, just as the users are accountable to you, n'est-ce pas?

Bah. And possibly humbug.

Much warmth,

Murray (off to see the Whipping Master)