[wp-forums] Suggestion for wp.com questions, and one other thing

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Thu Feb 2 09:20:14 GMT 2006

Kaf Oseo wrote:
> but there's a part of WordPress that's
> been feeling horribly neglected. If you listen close you can hear it
> whimpering. Almost...

I completely agree.
The forums are in desperate need of a radical overhaul given the issues
it now faces. I would:
- have another forum "Extending WP" for posts such as those that want to
make WP a CMS, posts that want phpbb integrated and such.
- have a "Core forum" for JUST wp issues and ONLY those and for that to
be strictly enforced by mods.
- Have a good hard look at layout and usability issues of the forum (see
many previous posts)

As has been voiced before, because WP has become what it is the support
issues have broadened hugely. The actual number of people trying to help
regularly who also have a good understanding of the core has not
increased at all. Right now you can't see that because everything is
crammed into a few forums - and it means that core issues are being lost.

But the the Hackers list has already got a post about the next release
so I have my doubts about whether the forum can get the much needed
attention which is a shame - a lot of the success of WP can be put at
the door of the forum community and we need our fair share of attention
right now if we are to continue to provide the support that is wanted -
after all, it's the only official support.

P.