[wp-forums] Building better.

Mark R tamba2 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 23:58:11 GMT 2006

On 12/5/06, Handy <handy.solo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Last thought:  The article starts with discussion of newbs, intermediates
> and experts.  I personally feel like I'll be an "intermediate" forever... we
> could use more experts.  :-)  (yep, I'm referring to miklb's recent posts
> about trying to draw in some coders).

And now I disagree :)
People who answer in the forums are able to convey information in a
way that people understand - and that makes them experts. They are no
less an expert than a coder.

Example - someone many months ago posted that they "needed a .htaccess
and what was it"
One of the coders replied along these lines: "ssh into the bog dir,
touch .htaccess, chmod 666 and then set your permalinks" There's
nothing wrong that. But I guessed that someone asking about .htaccess
would go all glassy-eyed when they read 'ssh'
I have the "Open notepad, press space once, save..." answer that I used to.

So knowing lots does not give the ability to be able to convey knowledge.
That ability does send people up to the expert end of the spectrum
though. For me anyway.

M.