[wp-forums] Drinking coke zero

febwa1976 at gmail.com febwa1976 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 11:27:29 GMT 2006

A year ago I had no idea what html, php etc was being a non computer guy. I
have learnt a tremendous amount from the forums and by the way from all of
the people that have posted here.

I have also asked some really stupid questions not because I wanted to be
stupid but because I did not understand how software forums "work". I did
not understand how you can use google to search WP etc. I did not understand
what this word codex meant.

I am not qualified to say how accurate and updated the codex is cause
technically I am getting better but still somewhat challenged!

Perhaps instead of looking for huge leaps in improvement it would be better
to look for small incremental improvements.

One suggestion is that a FAQ is established at the top of the forum list
and, as with many other forums people are clearly but firmly (and nicely)
asked to read this before posting. The codex has several FAQ lists so
perhaps this could be refined and summarized to be a single and simplified
FAQ at the top of the forum. I do not know how good the FAQs in the codex
are by the way although they often help me.

If somebody posts a question then that has a direct answer in the FAQ it is
simple for the mods or others to simply refer them there with an invitation
to post back if they were not helped.

This is not an origonal idea but may help induce a culture of self help
which is usually the best because you learn more doing it that way.

Now for the 5 minute install headline comments: I think this is a worthy
challenge and speaks to the spirit of WP and should stay. It may frustrate
some people but then maybe those are the people that should be pointed
toward a fantastico host or install4free - or maybe - and now somebody is
going to shoot me - install4Afee.

F.