[wp-forums] Affiliate links

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Fri Sep 9 12:23:58 GMT 2005

ifelse wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I was wondering if I could get your thoughts on affiliate links in forums?
> A member has made a couple of posts recommending DH but have used links
> with affiliate ref's.
> http://wordpress.org/support/topic/43107#post-241862
> http://wordpress.org/support/topic/41575#post-246702
>
> Whilst he's clearly not a spammer (and has been a good member in the
> past), I feel that it's bad form to place a link in a public support
> forum. I've nothing against DH or affilliate links, but I feel that such
> links set a bad example and should only belong in the owner's site and
> definitely not in a public support forum.
>
> Or am I just being too picky and prickly?

Podz has already pruned several affiliate links today; so the precedent
for removal has been established.  I've removed the links.

As we exercise moderation powers more and more, we _really_ need to
establish a written policy so that participants know what is and is not
permitted.  I'll develop an outline on the Codex in my user space right now.

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35