[wp-forums] Maven abilities

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Tue Aug 23 15:48:58 GMT 2005

Here is the current list of what Mavens can do:

Forum :
- edit a post by anyone else (but not other mavens)
- delete any post
- delete an entire topic
- close any topic
- sticky any post to the top of a single forum
- supersticky a post to the top of the front page (untried)
- move posts to another forum
- change the 'This topic is..resolved / not resolved'
- remove tags from posts
- remove tags altogether
- see deleted topics
- see deleted posts

Users :
- allow members to post faster than the automatic throttle of once every
30 seconds
- render members 'Inactive'. They can look, but not post.
- render members 'Blocked'. They will see an error message when trying
to access the forums.
- delete a member
- edit any members profile
- promote users
**As of me typing this, ALL the 'Users' points are untried.**

**All the above is subject to change**

Superstickies - I see these as for rare use only. I originally requested
them because we would have Codex disappear and the forums would fill
with people kindly letting us know, before that it was the dashboards
breaking. So while they can also serve as a "Upgrade - Security Issue",
I see them as being used to stop the forums being filled with repeat
posts. I have no idea if they are styled differently, but I would
emphasise the rare use - if there is always one there, people will
become blind to it. It needs to be there for a specific purpose and for
the shortest time.

Throttling - that is there purely to stop the sort of spam we had last
night, and not to stop us whacking out answers nice and fast. Unless
there are objections I'm happy to work through and allow as many regular
users to bypass that limit.

As for the 'Inactive' and 'Blocked', they are there for the spammers -
or maybe if someone started posting particularly nasty stuff.
Editing a profile I can only see being used to remove a url to a suspect
non-wp site. (Should it be clearer that on registering any link MUST
point to a WP site ?). I'm not sure if there is a way to indicate a
profile has been moderated ? or could I write [URL Removed] ? I'll have
to play quietly later.

I've said before that I see the role of mavens as being quiet and
unnoticed. If you don't see disruption and there are no complaints then
hopefully it's a job being done well. I see the above changes as being
useful for this purpose.

Thoughts / comments / suggestions / rules of engagement ?

P.