[wp-forums] PR and Spam

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Sat Aug 13 09:12:45 GMT 2005

I've just deleted a post from a user who - by just looking at the post
itself - was innocuous enough. But their member profile pointed at a
porn site. I missed it but macmanx was on the ball.
Looking at the registration form, the website is not compulsory so maybe
we need a message there ?
There are some long-standing and genuine WP users who have adult content
so we can't say don't link to that sort of site, but should we be doing
somethign to help look after those members who help when they are at
work ? Hitting a NSFW site when all they want to do is help isn't going
to do us any favours.
Maybe a radio button - is the site Safe For Work ?

But then a spammer / PR leech will just say Yes - and again we do have
people whose profile does not point to a WP site.

As it is right now, this member -
http://wordpress.org/support/profile/27393 - will be linked to by the
SE's on their next visit.

Nofollow profiles ?
Say that dodgy URL's will be deleted ?

Or is the code to deal with this already in the works ?

Maybe we should start using a 'spam?' tag ? After all, if one person
says "This looks like spam" and a mod agrees, then it goes ? Or the
other day someone posted on an old thread - their first post they put
their URL in 3 times to illustrate mod_rewrite problems. Amazingly, they
had saved the world less than 5 minutes later. I edited the post to
break the url (aren't spaces useful !) so it was still readable by us,
but to a SE bot it was not a href. Is that okay ?

P.