[wp-edu] A new resource (in WordPress) for teaching basic science

Joseph Ugoretz joseph.ugoretz at mhc.cuny.edu
Wed Aug 20 21:00:29 UTC 2014

Hi colleagues,

I’m really proud to announce the launch of a site and a series of videos that I've been working on, with my colleagues Drs. Kelly O’Donnell and Dr. Lisa Brundage, for almost a year now.  The project is called Science Forward and the site is at:

http://cuny.is/scienceforward

The site is designed to present a new approach to teaching science (in particular to undergraduate non-majors).  We’re working on building out the resources, and would love to have comments and responses.

Chief among those resources right now is a series of six videos (we’re hoping to produce more in the months to come, if these are well-received).  The videos, like everything on the site, are licensed with a CC BY-SA-NC license.  And we definitely hope they will be useful!

This first series is six videos on six different topics:
1. What is Science?
2. Urban Ecology
3. Evolution
4. Climate Change
5. Artificial Intelligence
6. The Challenge of Food
In all these topics, we're using a basic framework that we call the "Science Senses": Number Sense, Data Sense and Knowledge Sense (of course there's a video about those, too!)

The direct link to the videos page is http://macaulay.cuny.edu/eportfolios/scienceforward/videos

The videos are meant to be used in support of science classes (or any class where science is a topic of discussion).  They’re designed to be engaging and stimulating—to prompt discussion and more questions.  They’re not meant to communicate large amounts of content or to provide “coverage” of any given topic.

Please share widely!

Joe

--
Joseph Ugoretz, PhD