[wp-edu] Authors and permissions

Ken Newquist newquisk at lafayette.edu
Wed Sep 1 20:53:41 UTC 2010

On Aug 31, 2010, at 5:40 PM, Grogan, David wrote:

> Agreed. I’ll add that when it comes to content editing I emphasize
> to users that WP keeps track of page/post versions to that the site
> admins can see who has edited what and that you can restore older
> versions of content. Same emphasis when it comes to users or our
> wiki system. I’ve yet to see anyone egregiously damage content. And
> I’ve rarely seen any inadvertent editing of pages that a user
> shouldn’t be editing. In those cases older version restorer has
> resolved the issue.

I agree. We looked at the different role extenders but ultimately
decided that the extra granularity wasn't worth the risk of a crucial
plugin breaking network-wide during an upgrade. The only specific role
tweak that's one our wish list is to allow Authors to create drafts of
pages (which could then be published by Editors). Right now only
Editors can draft and publish pages (which isn't in keeping with the
Contributor -> Author progression, where contributors can create
drafts of posts, but Authors can publish them; I'd love to see that
progression replicated with Author -> Editor for pages).

Ken