[wp-edu] GSoC 2010, BuddyPress for teaching

Christopher christopher at portallanguageservices.com
Sun Apr 4 20:12:19 UTC 2010

It seems I'm the only person here who doesn't want a REQUIRED dependency
on Buddypress so I will wish you all the very best of luck on your
project while I continue to work on mine. It is too bad I won't be able
to help with it.

@stas
There are normal wordpress functions for checking users so admins and
students get different views. I've already done that in my script. Just
use the current user can check. Assign students as subscribers, teachers
as admin or editor depending on how much control you want to give.
There is a wordpress codex page to show what abilities each level has.
It wasn't very difficult.

@Joseph
Thank you for explaining how you use kbgradebook for showing feedback
instead of actual grades/scores. Since I'm having my plugin create
averages, I am keeping my score field for having percents (although I
admit I'm not limiting it to 100), but I'm adding a varchar(200) field
to my database table for teacher feedback.
"From the student's point of view, too, they can see the representation
of their progress and the comments and feedback in a single word press
page. "
good point!

@kyle
"
 From an admin perspective this is probably true.  BuddyPress tends to
run slowly when pushed - at least on my shared hosting account even with
W3cache enabled and WP-DBmanager doing some cleanup occasionally.

But from an instructor's angle, BuddyPress increases communication
peer-to-peer and peer-to-professor in non-standard ways that a typical
LMS usually doesn't enable.  This interaction, as I have observed, leads
to more class engagement and anecdotally more learning."
----------
I'm glad to see we agree on this point even though we expressed the same
idea differently :-)

"
I see your concern with this.  I'd counter by saying that BuddyPress has
WordPress (the Organization) support since Andy Peatling and JJ Scooby
are involved.  This isn't a plugin that is going to go by the wayside.

I guess I see groups & courses as having this natural relationship and
that it's tough to envision a non-BuddyPress WP-as-LMS.  But you're
right, not everyone would want the BuddyPress features (but why not?!)."
-------
my concern here is the REQUIREMENT of Buddypress to use a plugin for
managing courses. It should be used for what it is a social plugin for
interaction. Just because it is an automattic project, that doesn't mean
it is stable or will be optimized. I'm pretty sure it isn't optimized at
all. :-)  I have it running on one of my websites that has only a few
users, but I don't dare try to launch a big course with many users with
BuddyPress without a dedicated server. I've been testing BuddyPress on
one of my websites and in the last few months I've had to redesign my
blog theme twice due to the big changes they make every time it updates
and the sitewide posts widget (which was awesome) complete broke with
the 1.2 update. I wish they had warned us of that huge bug before
upgrading *sigh*  Buddypress also does very strange things to page
titles which I reported at least twice but I guess fixing functionality
bugs is low priority right now.

"But logging into the site is de facto practice in my experience with
Blackboard.  However, extending notifications beyond e-mail to RSS and
maybe SMS would be a nice change.  I'm in agreement with you though, we
need to provide multiple ways to keep track of dynamic course content
like assignment and grade updates."
-------
wow, I really like the idea of using RSS for assignment/homework feeds,
but I wonder how many people really understand how to use them. That was
why I was thinking about e-mail. Even my parents know how to send an
e-mail, but I doubt they have a clue about "new" technologies.   Being
in Mexico where many people have limited access to the internet, I try
to think about what they would know how to use and could quickly see and
do from an internet cafe or from work during their lunch break (which is
why I'm mostly focused on quizzes and automation)

"Ah, but again BuddyPress adds key functionality with its profile data.
  Completely customizable - something WP doesn't do out of the box.  I
know I create a lot of profile fields for input so that the professor I
assist can get some key information on his students (if they provide it,
which most do)."

Actually you can easily add new profile fields to regular plain old
Wordpress with just a little code in your functions.php (in your theme
directory).
here's a page where I learned how to do it. It is quite simple to make a
list of fields with this method.
  http://yoast.com/user-contact-fields-wp29/
yes, that post describes adding new contact methods, but you could add
fields for whatever you want and they will appear as profile options.