[wp-edu] Feed problem--new server

Mike Little mike at zed1.com
Wed Jan 14 09:18:32 GMT 2009

2009/1/14 Joseph Ugoretz <joseph.ugoretz at mhc.cuny.edu>:
> Well, none of the leads panned out.  This problem has got me totally stumped.  For now, I used the Yahoo Pipes workaround which is OK.  But eventually I'd like to figure this out.  Nothing I can find in any of the logs explains why the plugin would refuse to fetch feeds *only* from blogs in my own wpmu install.  Has to be something in my server configuration, but I sure can't figure out what.
>
> Oh well.  Thanks again everyone for the help!

Hi Joseph,

I can think of one issue that might explain your symptoms:
-- cannot access feeds from a specific domain local to the server
-- can access those feeds externally
-- can access feeds external to the server

That is, the dns lookup for your own domain does not work on your
server. That is, externally everyone can resolve your domain
correctly, similarly code on your server can resolve external domains
correctly.   But code on your server cannot resolve it's own domain.

If you have shell access (ssh or telnet) or can run system calls from
your PHP code you could try running 'ping -c4 your.domain.name' to
check my theory.

If my theory is correct, I don't quite know how to solve it, as it all
depends on how your box is configured, a call to your hosting company
might help.

Hope this helps,

Mike
--