[wp-edu] Spam protection and Themes

Robert Gray rmgray at usouthal.edu
Thu Feb 5 21:28:20 GMT 2009

I'm not sure if I'm ahead or behind the curve here (or even if I'm on the right course), but I've been using WP-SpamFree on my WPMU site, and I've loved it.  I've not had a single bit of spam get through, even for moderation, since I installed it last April.

I have had a few people complain about error messages since the last version update of the plugin a couple of weeks ago, but when I suggested they try it in Firefox instead of IE, they've not had problems.

http://www.hybrid6.com/webgeek/wp-spamfree

Rob

Robert Gray, PhD
Director of PETAL
Program for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning
University of South Alabama
University Library, Room 312
Mobile, AL 36688-0002
Phone: 251.461.1563
Fax: 251.460.7189
rmgray at usouthal.edu

>>> Mark Styles <wp-edu at lambic.co.uk> 2/5/2009 2:21 PM >>>
Hi all,

I'm just wondering what other institutions are using for their blog
comment spam protection; Are you paying for Akismet? Paying for
something else? Or using one or more of the free plugins?

Also, there's a debate raging here over whether all blogs should use the
same basic theme or all the blogs can look different (I'm in the looking
different camp, blogs should have individual personality IMO). Any
similar debates happened elsewhere? What was the outcome?

--
Mark
http://www.lambic.co.uk ( http://www.lambic.co.uk/ )