[wp-docs] Feedback request - WordPress Help Manual platform

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Fri Oct 5 14:21:16 UTC 2012

On 10/5/12 9:53 AM, Marc Beneteau wrote:
> I believe that Winhelp / Javahelp is the best documentation platform
Many people in this community just disagree. Sometimes we all just have
to agree to disagree and move on.

> I may pursue resources you suggest but to be quite frank it's unlikely
> to happen without institutional support
I understand, but if it's not a passion project for you, it's unlikely
to get institutional support from an institution that isn't particularly
interested in it as a format to begin with.
> My request was for a project manager, if I could get that we could
> likely get things started
I would also love to have a project manager to oversee our official
documentation projects... I've been looking for someone to take that on
for several years, in fact, which is one reason we don't have a full
awesome set of handbooks already. Again, if no one volunteered to join
you, you should probably look for a collaborator on a different list. We
cannot offer you a subsidized project manager for this project.

> I also like very much http://svnbook.red-bean.com/ if that is a real
> option let's do it.
That is what the support group is working on. They are working on
content first. The "platform" for the SVN book is just HTML; there's
nothing special to build.
> It can always be converted to Winhelp later when you all see the light ;)
You are free to convert any freely released content into this format,
but again, this format is not one that we intend to pursue.
> I am trying to play with y'all, help me out will you
I think multiple people on this list have tried to be helpful and have
pointed to the various avenues of contribution. If you don't want to
participate in any of those channels, and just want to do your own
thing, that's fine. Either way I think everyone agrees that there's more
than one way to help the community.