[wp-docs] Simple How To for Functions.php

Barrett Golding bg at hearingvoices.com
Tue Jul 12 19:35:21 UTC 2011

> From: Andrew Nacin <wp at andrewnacin.com>
> Subject: Re: [wp-docs] Simple How To for Functions.php
>>
>>  From: Mika A Epstein <ipstenu at ipstenu.org>
>>> The only think I can think you're missing is 'Child themes
>>> inherit the
>>> functions of the parent themes, though they can add on their own
>>> functions.php file.'
>
> I'n not sure that "inherit" is indicative of what's going on -- parent
> functions are included second.

Andrew, you're right, even tho the Codex states:
"A WordPress child theme is a theme that inherits the functionality
of another theme

the child/parent functions are not really an inheritance, like w/ a
class or css.
to keep things simple, but still accurate,
i skipped the load sequence details, and just linked to the
explanation. page now reads:

(A [[Child_Themes|Child Theme]] can have its own <tt>functions.php</
tt>. This child functions file can be used to augment or
[[Child_Themes#Using_functions.php|replace]] the parent theme's
functions.)

http://codex.wordpress.org/User:Hearvox/The_Functions_File

thanks,
bg