[wp-docs] Function Pages Update

Charles K. Clarkson cclarkson at htcomp.net
Mon Mar 2 06:19:42 GMT 2009

Hello,

New Function Reference Pages

I have added about 249 new function reference pages to the Codex since
taking on the project in mid-December. I'm really surprised I'm not
burned out. I completed this first goal a few moments ago.

All the function links listed on the Function Reference page[1] go
somewhere now. The new pages are just the description from the inline
docs plus a few extra comments and linked terms, but it is a good start.

I seriously doubt all the functions in WordPress on listed on that page,
but I need to take a breather before deciding the next step and I would
like to get the Global Variable page on the Codex before continuing.

I didn't touch any of the existing function pages. Many of them are in
pretty bad shape, but the first goal was to get something on each page
for now. We still need examples. I think we will always need more examples.

I didn't get to the Class descriptions (yet).

Inline Docs Parser

The parser I wrote to rip apart the source code is getting better. It
doesn't understand PHP code, but it can handle the function definition
and the global() statement to construct default values and to add
descriptive global variable names (some with links to Codex pages).

There is a term parser which automatically generates external links to
Wikipedia (for some common terms like HTML and Nonce) and to the PHP
manual for PHP terms and functions. There are also many links to Codex
pages including a linker to other codex functions listed in the function
docs.

I had a few requests to re-write it in PHP (it's in perl now) so WP
programmers could play. I thought I would try starting from the XRef
code base, but it is also written in perl. Go figure. :)

[1] http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference

HTH,

Charles Clarkson
--