[wp-docs] New WordPress Handbook

Mike Walsh mike_walsh at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 22 19:46:39 GMT 2009

>> The WordPress Handbooks will not be in wiki form. They will be created
using
>> Subversion. An example is the http://svnbook.red-bean.com/ Version
Control
>> with Subversion by Ben Collins-Sussman, Brian W. Fitzpatrick, C. Michael
>> Pilato.
>
>I'm trying to understand the problems that will be solved by creating
>a Subversion-controlled manual.  The practical realities that make
>Subversion such a helpful tool for software development are either not
>present or already addressed with a wiki.  So for example, if the
>Codex were overwhelmed by ideologues trying to reshape the Codex, or
>if vandalism were a constant problem, then I could understand
>tightening up control.

Personally I think this move to Subversion and the model used by the
Subversion book is a great idea.  As a plugin developer I find the Codex
documentation cumbersome and I work offline a lot so having a real reference
book would be a huge benefit.  I actually have Adobe Acrobat walk the Codex
periodically just so I can have something to reference when I am not
connected.  I do a lot of work when I am on an airplane - offline
documentation is a big benefit for me  I always keep a PDF version of the
Subversion book on my laptop and found it so useful I ordered the printed
version from ORA.

Besides offline access, the biggest benefit I see is the ability to tag a
version of the documentation against a WordPress release.  Need to do some
work on 2.6.3?  You would reference the 2.6.3 SVN branch of the book.  No
need to worry about heading down a dead end path based on Codex content
which is only relevant to a newer release.  Right now there is very little
information in the Codex that helps you differentiate information which
changes from release to release.  The same is true for a Wiki.

Mike

--
Mike Walsh - mike underscore walsh at mindspring dot com