[wp-docs] Introduction and Proposal

Lorelle on WordPress lorelleonwordpress at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 06:02:42 GMT 2008

You make some good points. In general, the pages used to be fairly
consistent, and we hope to keep them that way.

There are supposed to be text copies of the code spelling out the steps,
screencasts, and/or videos, not only one option. We need to have options for
everyone. Sorry you misinterpreted that.

As for the jargon, what were template tags, that used various "functions" to
work, were the original name for WordPress-specific code within a WordPress
Theme. Now the word "functions" has it's own meaning with the expansion of
programming code within WordPress, and as such, an evolution in the
name-calling language is happening and I'm waiting for the dust to settle as
WordPress changes even more in the next version.

Jacob and the rest are right in that the Codex is meant to offer
hand-holding and a guide to how to use WordPress, and his work and the work
of others to document the code beyond WordPress Themes into the programming
language is critical, and the Codex must support that work, though not
replace it.

Honestly, throw yourself into this, and others will join the cause. Don't
kill yourself, do what you can. The Codex is an open, living document,
changing all the time. It will change dramatically as soon as I get some
more feedback from the development team on structure associated with
WordPress 2.7, so hang on to your socks.

But don't let that stop you. Dig in. Do what you can. Use your best
judgment. There are some core standards on how the Codex works, but all is
fixable. Just read through the core Codex guidelines (no "I" stories, link
to all panel keywords, etc.) and you should be fine. Let us know which
articles you have worked on at first, and we'll double check them for you if
you want.

All help welcome. Thank you so much for your desire to take this on.