[wp-docs] Simpler Upgrade Guide

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 03:38:10 GMT 2006

On 1/4/06, Podz <podz at tamba2.org.uk> wrote:
> Carthik Sharma wrote:
> > Have at it:
> > http://codex.wordpress.org/User:Carthik/Five_Step_Upgrade
> >

> Hi !
> I'm all for more guides, but faulty overwriting of existing files is
> definitely the cause of many forum posts. There are so many clients,
> cpanels and user knowledge levels that I believe deleting first and then
>   uploading the new files has to be the way to go. And if they have a
> backup of everything then they should be fine.

Overwriting has worked fine for me, so far. In principle, that is how
the upgrade should work, too. The thing is, people will more likely
end up deleting stuff they really want to preserve -- it is easy to
get lost in a list of filenames and directories. Which is why I left
it as "overwrite the files" and not delete the files. In any case, as
the quick guide says at the end, if this doesnt work, then the user
can follow the longer, more accurate and detailed upgrade
instructions? kosher?

Carthik.

> P.

Ph.D. Candidate