[wp-docs] Copyright and a new stub.

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Sun Sep 18 16:35:42 GMT 2005

Michael E. Hancock wrote:
> Why the 'uproar'?  Isn't GPL good enough?  Podz, you've proved that anyone,
> anytime, can just make a copy of the Codex info.  If someone doesn't want to
> copy from Codex then they can copy from your files...
>
> If someone takes Codex and makes a book, that can only be great for
> WordPress!  In fact, that effort probably should be encouraged rather than
> discouraged.

There's an uproar when someone appropriates the WordPress name. [1]
There's an uproar when someone releases non-free plugins [2] or themes [3].

These are all justifiable, because the contributions of many are being
used without attribution, and oftentimes without making the source of
the new theme or plugin available, as required by the terms of the GPL.

Yet the attitude coming from many regarding the Codex -- many who have
not contributed as much to the Codex -- seems to be "sure, take it, we
don't care."

Podz is defending the position that we _DO_ care.  Writing docs is hard.
  A lot of effort went into making the Codex the resource that it is.
The contributors deserve every bit as much credit as the person who
submits an elegant piece of code to solve some problem inside WordPress.

Further, it would be a real slap in the face to all the volunteer effort
if someone distilled the Codex, published a book, and provided no links
to the Codex, nor made the contents of the book available free of charge
to others for further improvement (or for integration back into the Codex).

If someone takes the time and effort to distill the Codex into a book, I
say bully for them!  I've thought about it.  It's not an easy task, but
it's also not impossible.  But how can WordPress and the Codex
contributors effectively assert the copyright of their work if there is
no explicit copyright statement on the Codex?  What if, instead of
distilling the Codex, someone made an exact copy and sold it, with no
indication that the contents were in fact authored by someone else, or
that the same content is available free at the Codex?

This all gets a little murky, just as it does for the code. We want to
share the information; but we want to make sure we're not making
Herculean efforts just so someone else can waltz in and profit from our
work.

The idea was raised recently (the last #meetup, I think?) that the docs
should be licensed under the same terms as WordPress itself.  But since
we're not actually bundling the Codex with the WordPress source, I
question that mandate.  I'm personally not keen on the GFDL [4], because
it's not exactly free; but the GFDL is probably better suited to written
texts that may live as dead-tree books (which is the complaint against
GPL for books: how does one properly release the "source"?).

Given the problems of the GFDL, and the ambiguity of the GPL for things
that aren't programs, we might want to consider a CC license, like
CC-NC-SA.  We can't reasonaly use CC-BY because we'd then require
everyone using the Codex elsewhere to include a complete list of
copyright holders, which may be impractical.  A NC-SA license can be
used in commercial activities if permission is granted from the
copyright holders.  I think it's reasonable to ask someone to contact
all the copyright holders for a given page (as defined by its edit
history) if the contents of that page are to be used in a commercial
endeavour.

Or, again, transfer the copyright to WordPress, Inc. (or the Free
Software Foundation), so that that entity can grant exceptions to the NC
clause, as they see fit.

1: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/44452
2: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/38024
3: http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2005-July/001836.html
4: http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/Position_Statement.html
   but see also
http://zed1.com/journalized/archives/2003/04/20/debian-gnulinux-to-declare-gnu-gfdl-non-free/

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35