[wp-docs] User accounts

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 22:42:54 GMT 2005

The best approach seems to be to take care of problem users on an
individual basis. Let the others be. We could write up a policy
statement listing what/who qualifies as an abusive user. Dormant users
do not pose too much of a problem, and I wonder if a pro-active method
of dealing with them is neccessary.

Carthik.

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:45:00 +0000, Podz <podz at tamba2.org.uk> wrote:
> Tor Bjornrud wrote:
>   > I think in the case that someone is clearly abusing the account system
> > and codex, it's perfectly alright to delete an account.  This is very
> > different from someone just creating an acct and leaving it, imho.
>
> True :)
> I do wonder though if a script did hit the site ...
>
> > I haven't weighed in on this yet, but I think it's a bad policy given
> > that the codex is supposed to be an inclusive project.  Who's to say
> > that someone who created an acct got distracted and didn't get to
> > contribute?  I know I poked around the codex for quite a while before
> > ever posting, and even now I haven't done all that much.  But if I had
> > found that my account was deleted because of inactivity, that would've
> > been quite discouraging.
> >
> > Basically, I value making the codex more inviting to occasional editors
> > FAR more than saving some user account real estate, which is practically
> > free.
>
> Likewise I did some, then went silent ... so the same thing applies to me.
>
> > In addition, leaving accounts fits the open-source commons that we're
> > trying to build with the WordPress community.  It's fine to have a
> > meritocracy, and works extremely well, but I don't think that needs to
> > conflict with welcoming users and contributors with open arms.  Deleting
> > user accounts *can* be perceived as the contributor not being "good
> > enough" to be in our club.
>
> I have a point I'll make in a followup.
>
> > Leave no contributor behind.
>
> Agreed - but A2gay.org.uk ... a contributor ? I'll eat my hat :)
>
> P.

When nothing is done, nothing is left undone -- 老子 Lǎozi

University of Central Florida
Homepage: http://carthik.net