[wp-docs] [Dev Doc] WordPress Database Reference

Michael D.Adams mikea at turbonet.com
Tue Mar 15 04:01:36 GMT 2005

On Mar 14, 2005, at 4:58 AM, Owen Winkler wrote:
> This page would be well-placed in Developer Documentation -> WordPress
> Function Reference -> Class Reference -> wpdb, and should be
> referenced from anywhere in the dev docs that talks about databases,
> like on the page that describes the database structure itself,
> [[WordPress Database Reference]].  I had envisioned the [[WordPress
> Database Reference]] page as a definition of the database tables and
> fields and their purposes.
>
> How I've described categorizing this is a little deep into the site.
> Maybe the [[WordPress Class Reference]] page should be linked to from
> [[Developer Documentation]] directly?
I've got a rough sketch of the wpdb class at
http://codex.wordpress.org/User:MDAWaffe/Functions .  I agree now that
the content is better served from the [[WordPress Function Reference]]
section.

Speaking of, I've made a draft of such a page:
http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Function_Reference .  The
inspiration, as you can see, comes from [[Template Tags]].  I had
envisioned a similar implementation:  links in each section to pages
describing individual functions or groups of similar functions.  I am
open to other implementations.

The sections delineated there were completely off the cuff.  Please
organize things differently if you see a better alternative.  In
particular, what do people think about each class (or natural group of
classes) getting its own box on the page? Also, I don't really know
what "basic functions" could be; functions from functions.php will
probably go into several categories.  Again, edit at will.  Owen, you
seem to have a good idea how things should be organized.  Do you mind
poking the page or listing a sectional hierarchy here?

This brings up the subpage issue.  It seems the best way to implement
to me, but I'm open.  I suppose, then, each of the functions I describe
for the wpdb class should have its own page, with an umbrella page
describing database interface in general, the class variables, and the
class as a whole.

I don't want to do anything drastic, though, until I hear possibly
better ideas.

Michael