[wp-docs] New page policy discussion

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Wed Mar 2 23:02:28 GMT 2005

Carthik,

I don't have a problem with many of the points mentioned regarding
naming policies and standards.  My main concern is the implementation of
that policy.

Empower the users as editors.  Add to these standards a list of special
tags (like {{Stub}}) that can be applied to pages that need review by
someone more knowledgeable, and explain to authors how and when to use them.

Leave heftier operations - like merging, splitting, and moving - to
admins.  Let users mark these pages for admin review and tasking.

One specific point to add to the standards is that links that go nowhere
should be allowed and *not removed*.  They provide a placeholder for
people to find things to work on.  If they're such a problem for users
who find blank pages and don't know what to do, let's create a better
"This is not written yet" message.

I also want to reiterate that I think that it's very inconvenient,
counter-wiki, admin-intensive - choose your adjective - to insist on
User: pages.  It creates a lot more work for everyone in the end, and
doesn't appear to me to substantially increase the quality of the content.

Your original message is not in this email client, which is not a
surprise to me.  It is likely related to my misuse of pop3, rather than
a list-server issue.

Owen