[wp-docs] Holes in the documentation

Lorelle VanFossen lorelle at cameraontheroad.com
Wed Jul 13 01:16:57 GMT 2005

My post about the holes in the documentation seems to be lost and I
think it needs to be brought to the foreground.

While Cleanup Week fixed a lot of documentation, we have a LOT of holes
and energy needs to be spent to fill them. Here is a list of holes that
I see:

* http://codex.wordpress.org/Integrating_Wordpress_with_Your_Website -
Constantly requested, NO information.
* Simple things like an article on how to activate the popup comments
template, styling footers, and very basic information on themes and
template tags.
* Conditional Tags and various queries - people are constantly asking
questions about customizing queries and we have very little information
to help people use conditional tags step-by-step to customize their post
and template outputs.
* Foreign Language Installs and Support: I'm working with Moshu to clean
up the mess and hopefully that will be ready next week but we need more
on this subject.
* Development: the Codex is SERIOUSLY lacking in documentation to help
developers and future developers. This includes development and writing
of plugins. Some articles are underway but we need more.

 From http://codex.wordpress.org/User:Lorelle/Articles_Wanted, Common
Website Setups, highlighting each one as an article with possibly links
to other articles for content that crosses models:

Basic Weblog Model
    * Basic Article Output and the Concept of Article Flow
    * Adding Article Archive to the Process
    * Expanding Your Site with Pages and Content
    * Custom Article Output with WordPress Categories

Intermediate Weblog Model
    * Adding Plugins to Your WordPress
    * Adding post popularity and ratings via plugins or otherwise
    * Adding Substructure to Your Site
        * Site Map
        * Custom Template pages/Pages
    * Controlling User Levels
    * Link Checking
    * Site Statistics and Monitoring
    * Controlling Comments

Photoblog, Portfolio or Photo Gallery Model
    * Theme based upon images not text
    * Loop customization for image oriented posts
    * Integrating Gallery Plugins/Add-ons
    * Adding Graphics/Photographs to Site (Thumbnails, etc.)

Business Site Model (CMS)
    * Adding E-commerce
    * Adding Ads (globally and per post)
    * Sign-ups/Registrations
    * Controlling User Levels
    * Controlling Comments
    * Mailing Lists
    * Contact Forms
    * Managing Links Internally and Externally
    * Link Checking
    * Site Statistics and Monitoring

Review Site Model
    * Rating Items Pages
    * Category/Individual Post styles
    * Controlling User Levels
    * Link Checking
    * Site Statistics and Monitoring
    * Controlling Comments

This is just a start, and there is more on the Codex:Tasks List. I'd
like to put together a list of what other holes are missing in the
documentation. So where are the holes you see in the documentation? Add
them here and I'll put them on the Task List.